FA (Fishing Association) Cup Final 2019

Every year we hold our Mayor’s Cup Charity Competition on Mossley Mill Fishery in order to raise money for the Antrim & Newtownabbey Borough Council Mayor’s three nominated charities. Members collect sponsorship money and are assigned a football team to play as throughout the fishing tournament, which is ran in the same format as football’s FA Cup. Our very own Chris Kamara, otherwise known as Gerry Lisk- Association Secretary, manages the event and reports regularly on the event stages. Here is the 2019’s FA Cup final match report. Check back soon for the details of 2020’s FA Cup tournament.

Members, competitors, spectators, fans, charity representatives and ANBC Mayor John Smyth at the 2019 FA Cup final day.

FA Cup Final match report
(Drew Black) Manchester City v Wolves (Jack McMurtry)

With the Premier League title and League Cup already secured Manchester City started as firm favourites as they hoped to make a clean sweep of domestic trophies. Four times FA Cup winners Wolves had some cup history but you would need to go back to 1960, for their last victory in this competition.

Under blues skies, the teams ran out to a packed Wembley stadium and the atmosphere was electric.

City won the toss, choose to attack the favoured North End in the first half and the match kicked off at a high tempo. With both sides coming to attack, the final had all the makings of a classic.
Two minutes in, City almost opened the scoring, only to see their goal bound strike cleared off the line. But the blue half of Wembley didn’t have too long to wait as City attacked once more, only this time they found the back of the net as they cut through a static Wolves’ defence.

GOAL (4 mins)

Manchester City 1 Wolverhampton Wanderers 0

Manchester City (Drew Black)- Back of the net at 4 minutes.

Wolves response was immediate, attacking straight from the restart they thought they had equalised, only this time it was their turn to have a strike miraculously cleared off the line. Two minutes later City could have doubled their lead but snatched at the chance as the action swung from end to end, in this hectic start.

Wolves, relying on the same team and formation that seen them ease past Crystal Palace, continued to unsettle City’s normally unflappable defence. Repaying the manager’s faith, their big striker got on the end of a long throw in, to smash home a well-deserved equaliser.

GOAL (13 mins)

Manchester City 1 Wolverhampton Wanderers 1

Guardiola could see his team were up against it but instead of going defensive, chose to bring on his most experienced striker as the two teams went toe to toe. But it was Wolves who now had the momentum and an excellent strike saw them take the lead for the first time.

GOAL (25 mins)

Manchester City 1 Wolverhampton Wanderers 2

City’s defence clearly could not handle the Wolves big striker and they almost scored again but for some brave defending. Not many teams had been able to put City under this much pressure and Wolves’ forward line continued to cause the Sky Blues’ defence no end of problems. But as the match headed to the interval, City mounted one last attack. Cutting in from the left flank, the net bulged once more as they stunned Wolves with an equaliser on the stroke of half time..

GOAL (45 mins)

Manchester City 2 Wolverhampton Wanderers 2

With barely time for the restart the referee’s whistle sounded to bring a thrilling first half to an end.

Half time

Manchester City 2 Wolverhampton Wanderers 2

The second half kicked off at the same frenetic pace with no team prepared to give an inch in this hotly contested cup tie. Wolves’ big striker was causing mayhem in City’s defence and looked the most likely as they piled on the pressure. Coupled with their youthful energy Wolves were not only matching City but forcing them back at every opportunity.

Wolves high press game paid off as their red-hot striker popped up unmarked to hook in from a tight angle, much to the delight of the travelling fans.

GOAL (53 mins)

Manchester City 2 Wolverhampton Wanderers 3

City’s response was to re-double their efforts, working the flanks and probing the Wolves defence in search for an opening. Wolves defence held strong, matching City’s efforts and looking for a counterattack of their own.

Pep looked to his substitutions once more, searching for that player who could change the game. The Wolves defence however held strong as they contain the City attacks so far but as in the famous Cloughy quote “it only takes a second to score” and match would change in an instant.

With City throwing more and more players forward in search of the equaliser they inevitably started to leave gaps at the back. Wolves started to hit City on the counter and only a goal line clearance stopped them increasing their lead.  Despite the narrow escape City had no option but to pile forward throwing caution to the wind but try as they might they could not break a stubborn Wolves defence down.

As the clocked ticked down City’s desperation would cost them at back. Wolves broke forward through a sparse City defence, rounded the stranded keeper and smashed the back of the net to spark wild celebrations.

GOAL (85 mins)

Manchester City 2 Wolverhampton Wanderers 4

City tried to the end but this was Wolves day and as the final whistle blew the party had already begun which would last long into the night.

Full time

Manchester City 2 Wolverhampton Wanderers 4

WINNER- Wolverhampton Wonderers (Jack McMurtry) Winner of the 2020 FA Cup.

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: